Thursday, April 11, 2013

My son has shark teeth

I was brushing Jake's teeth the other morning. And to my surprise, my six year old has two rows of teeth in the bottom front. I tried not to freak out as I called frantically to my husband. "Dave! Dave! Jake's adult teeth are coming in behind his baby teeth!" Of course Jake starts bawling, and I'm back tracking. "No! It's good Jakey! You're a big boy now! Your adult teeth are coming in!" But really, my mind is spinning "braces, surgery, dental bills, more braces..."
Well one visit to the dentist and a set of x-rays later (we got in the very next morning, thank you Dr. Fenn!) it seems this is pretty common. Jake's baby teeth have very little root left, so his job is to wiggle them every day. And to eat apples and carrots. Hard food. If in one month, those little teeth haven't fallen out, the dentist will pull them. Not sure how much that will end up costing, so I am also inside Jake's mouth once a day, giving them a wiggle. Plus we are painting the picture of four whole dollars as soon as they come out. Thank you Tooth Fairy.
So at the end of the day Jake will have straight teeth like his dad. Those adult teeth will actually move on their own and take their proper place once those baby teeth are liberated from Jakey's mouth. My little shark boy will be fine. And you wouldn't believe how many carrots that kid can eat. xoxo AMS

No comments: